Saturday, January 23, 2010

Adios Telemundo


Ok- so here is the deal. I have been thinking all week long about cutting back on TV. Lesley is great at moderation on all levels. She watches the shows she likes then turns it off. She can have TWO Hershey kisses after dinner and move on. She can go to target and get the things on the list and come home. Basically, she is a disciplined human being.

Then there's me...

First off, when I go to target my first stop is to check out the clearance racks in the men's department. While it may not be bad to come home with a $2 t-shirt- who really needs a neon yellow t-shirt with a giant face of Carlton from the 'Fresh Prince of Bel Aire' on it. (I know it is awesome though!).

Secondly, when I grab a chocolate after dinner I start with two. Next thing you know I have half a package and even the dogs are staring at me thinking 'savage' as I have molten chocolate oozing out of my pores.

Finally, when it comes to T.V. I really have struggled with this. I am a creative person. I love to make music, write music, draw, paint, doodle, craft, build junk, etc. Instead I sit on the couch and burn hours getting dumber and fatter. I don't mind burning an hour every night or maybe two if there is a couple shows- but more times than not we eat and then I park myself in front of the tv or laptop until bedtime. Doing the math I think I can say that this week I have watched...

Sunday- 5 hrs.
Monday- 4hrs.
Tuesday- 4 hrs.
Wednesday-4 hrs.
Thursday- 5 hrs.
Friday- 6 hrs.
Saturday- 6 hrs.

That is almost 35 hrs!!! If you consider laptop time I bet it could really add up! I hope all of you people are nowhere close to that.

Here are the top 5 reasons I am going to change this...

1) Em and Lesley. There is no reason for the TV to be on when we have all the entertainment we need with our 'little peanut'. Also I know Lesley is tired of having to pry the remote out of my hands every night!

2) To quit wasting time. Usually I am exhausted after work. If I sit down I am done for. Next thing I know it is 12:00 and I have not done anything!!! If anything I can study my scores, play some piano or guitar and burn some creative energy. Usually when I play instruments it leads to a little reading and a cup of hot tea and I am out like a baby...

3) To be more creative. I like doing creative things. I have arranged music, done water colors, cut paper into intricate designs, hacked away at a multitude of instruments (including accordion and slide whistle), and the list goes on and on. As you can imagine, realizing it is midnight and shutting off the tv is a whole different feeling than realizing it is midnight and having to stop playing guitar or painting.

I am going to (starting 1/24/10) watch less TV and do more things that are productive. My big master plan is to cut down to about 20 hours in a week (which is still a lot... baby steps), eventually cutting down even more. As I do this I will try to start posting some of the extra things I am doing to fill the space...

I'm out.




No comments:

Post a Comment